9.20.2010

KCWC Day 1

Day 1 of the Kids Clothes Week Challenge hosted by Elsie Marley got off to a pretty good start here. Despite a house full of sick people (2 kids and myself) I managed to put in an hour (78 minutes to be exact....) while both kids slept. I should have been sleeping, but this was much more fun.

I started out with these 2 shirts from Goodwill. I LOVE the donut shirt and the other is a Banana Republic T that is super soft and has a cool design on the front.


I wanted to try to step outside my comfort zone, which I was sort of forced into since the green T didn't have enough fabric to make long sleeves as I had originally intended. Here's what I ended up with.



I really like everything about how the donut shirt came out. I can't wait to see it on my son. The other shirt was somewhat of a problem.

I decided to attempt to make the ribbing have that unfinished look, but I'm not thrilled with the end result.


I also really wanted it to be long sleeved, but didn't have enough fabric in the original shirt. So after playing around with a bunch of different things and screwing it up more and more, I just chopped the sleeves off and made it short sleeves. Oh well, still not bad for 78 minutes of sewing.
OK, off to wake the kids.....


2 comments:

  1. If you have some contrasting/coordinating fabric (or sleeves from another shirt), you could cut tubes and sew them to the underside of the sleeve hem. It would give it that 2-layer look that is so popular!

    ReplyDelete